Monday, September 17, 2012

Drinking Glasses Double Whammy!

Pin It Now!
We like Scotch.
Not just any scotch though, it must be Laphroig.
If you even slightly like scotch, next time you're out, try this one. The depth of flavors are amazing. That said, a close friend introduced us to this brand, and we have been in love ever since. So between them and us, we aquired four bottles.
They are the prettiest green, too!
I found a pin for turning bottles (wine, in this case) into drinking glasses, and decided, why not?
Inspiration photo from Pinterest
I tried the cotton cord and acetone trick, as shown here, and for some reason, it didn't work for me. Oh well, there are other ways. I already had a butane torch (I'll explain that later) and bought an etching tool, that sort of vibrates at a very quick rate. So here are my photos...
Here, from the left, etching tool, bottles, and torch.

Right where the bottle gets wider, there's a bit of a 'lip' that was prefect to etch under...
See that?
You can kinda see where I started etching.
Trace all the way around that little lip...
Then, light the torch and turn the bottle slowly, to evenly heat the etched crease.
I would have got a picture of this, but the flame wasn't showing in photos.

Then...taa daaa...
You'll hear a little crack, but don't freak out and drop it, just turn the torch off.
It'll crack around the etched line, and break clean off, assuming I etched deep enough.
Hooray! Continuing this with all bottles...



















Use the sandpaper around the "mouth" of the glasses to get rid of all sharp edges.
I used Emery paper, 150 grit.


Now to get the labels off...
I soaked them in VERY hot soapy water. (read: darn near scalding)

This got one...ONE of the labels off easily.
The rest of the labels were like "LOL...no. We are staying."
So, I used WD40.
That did the trick.



Oooooo...Pretty.
So this concludes the first half of my project.
Then, I found a pin for painting glasses with dots, to make them look uber cute.



The idea here, is to dot-paint them with the ends of paintbrushes, kabob sticks....etc.
Then, you allow to air dry, then bake at  350F for 30 min, then turn off the oven, and allow to cool while still in the oven.

All Done!
They turned out super cute, too :)

Hope you all enjoyed this, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment